Reading time: 6 min.
How to choose a VPS?
We have already covered what a VPN service is, what are the differences between a VPN application, Private Server for VPN and Private VPN Server, as well as their pros and cons. This article is on VPS: what they are for, how do they differ, and how to choose the right one.
VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a partitioned piece of a physical server that acts like its own server.
The technology looks like this: a physical server is divided into several partitions, and the server software is configured on each of them, that makes each virtual server work independently. This means that the power of each virtual server is determined by technical specs: RAM, disk space, processor, etc. and do not affect each other's performance in any way.
What is a virtual server for?
VPS servers can be used for different tasks such as:
- web development: design, develop, test and deploy software products;
- VPN service: install your own software and configure a VPN server to improve privacy and business information protection;
- online stores: a virtual server allows you to store a large amount of data and host loaded projects;
- Information portals: databases, mailboxes, etc. on a virtual server guarantee full management and security of users' personal data;
- video surveillance system: the best option for backing up a streaming video archive;
- remote desktop (RDP/VNC): a computer that can be accessed anywhere in the world from any device (laptop, tablet or smartphone);
- school portals: electronic control system and remote access to educational materials for all educational program participants;
- storage of personal data: place your photo, video, music, app archive with guaranteed privacy, as well as the ability to sync all used devices through one.
Pros and Cons of VPS.
- guaranteed resources,
- the ability to install your own software,
- flexible server settings,
- root access to the server.
- technical skills are required for the managing.
What will help you choose a VPS?
Those technical specs are important when choosing a server:
Determine the amount of uploaded data, considering all the projects deployed on the server (always with a margin, as your project will grow).
It can be HDD (Classic Hard Drive) or SSD (Solid State Drive), which is faster and more productive.
The main types of VPS virtualization are OpenVZ and KVM. At LLHOST INC. VPS are represented by the OVS (Optimized Virtual Servers) group based on KVM virtualization.
It effects on the download speed: the larger the project, the more RAM is required.
Task speed depends on the server processor's performance:: more processor cores are able to process more requests.
Each OS has its own specifics, so it depends on your needs and habits.
This is the amount of data your server can transfer over the internet per month. At LLHOST INC. any OVS plan includes unmetered bandwidth, which means you are not charged according to the amount of bandwidth you use.
There are Control Panels for the VPS service as well as Control Panels for hosting software.
The Control Panels for hosting software help you to manage your Linux hosting software through a web interface. You can install various software and launch websites on the server, build and manage databases. The VPS Service Control Panel is created to reinstall the operating system, reboot the server, and monitor the status of the server. LLHOST INC. offers VM manager by default, other control panels can be configured optionally.
In addition to these technical specifications, the following are equally important:
- a free trial period for assessing the quality of the server's power and capacity;
- data centers located as close to your area as possible;
- multilingual technical support available 24/7;
- ability to upgrade without downtime.
If you can't define your project requirements, first choose the minimum plan and check if it is sufficient for you, and if necessary, upgrade it.
How to choose a VPS? Shortcut.
Our experts will be happy to provide you with more detailed information. We will certainly give you advice on the appropriate OVS plan for your tasks. Feel free to contact Sales Department, or place your question in our Telegram chat.
As a summary, VPS is an excellent solution for many tasks in a variety of areas - from personal needs to large enterprises. It allows you to save on purchase and maintenance of a physical server. At the same time, you can install and configure any software you need, as well as upgrade your plan with extra disk space or a more powerful processor. Technical skills are required for server management. However, this issue can be easily solved by numerous step-by-step instructions.
Get started on LLHOST INC. Virtual Private Server today and cut -20% off on any OVS plan by using the promocode “OKIMIN”!
*Promocode can be applied until July 7, 2022, and is valid for 3 months of the monthly billing cycle.